Monday, December 14, 2009

The Funk of Forty Thousand Years

So Natalie Portman has gone from Padame, to Anne Boleyn, and now to Elizabeth Bennet? I am not sure how I feel about this.  I do love Ms Portman, and heaven knows I do love Pride and Prejudice. But for some reason, I have not been able to get my mind around this zombie, seamonster, business. I am all for any excuse to get kids to read....but is this the way? Why mess with the classics? Have all the good stories already been told? Are we doomed to a life of watered down distortions and half-rate retellings?

Plus, the only zombies I care about....


are dancing zombies.

6 comments:

R. Siren said...

Are you serious?

I'll be honest. I've been really anti-zombie everything for a long time. I didn't get the phenomena and completely resisted it. The zed word was met by much eye rolling. That changed when I saw Shaun of the Dead, but it doesn't mean that everything with the word zombie in it suddenly becomes worthwhile.

I've even heard from real zombie enthusiasts (Is that a thing? Is there a name for these people?) that this book is pretty crap. Unless she gets some excellent comedic writers, I predict an epic fail.

/end rant

Tricia Bagley said...

JUST WRONG!!! I've seen this book on the shelves and have refused to read it. I love Jane Austen and I just can't see this book as something true to her spirit. PLUS, this new book is written by a MAN, I don't think so. Now a movie?! This is just ridiculous, I pledge now to never see it!

Melissa said...

WHAT??? Why, why, why???

My one solace: at least it's not about vampires.

JennaK said...

Okay, that could definitely ruin Jane Austen for a lot of people who may have this as their first introduction to that story. How bizarre! What will they come up with next?

Love Natalie Portman, love Pride and Prejudice, but this will not be on my "to-see" list...

Sparklebot said...

I will be getting the book for Christmas (I know because I bought it myself and wrapped it) because I think it's time that I at least read it so I can form an intelligent opinion.

Quoting song lyrics for titles is my favorite.

Jillian said...

HA! Now that you mention it, I have been quoting a lot of song lyrics. Funny that you bring it up in a post where I whine about being unoriginal.