Thursday, March 13, 2008

Only Option?



I am really not one to be superpolitically active, or much interested in the economy. But I read this today and it just makes me wonder.

I wonder how one gets to the point where, *insert sordid activity here,* seems to be the "only option." I realize France doesn't have a monopoly on social problems. We have plenty of people making similar choices here in the states. Heck, some of them are related to me. I just don't get it. It doesn't seem to me that the failing economy is not the only problem at work.

What is the internal conversation that takes place? How do people talk themselves into things that can't make them feel good on just a basic human level? Aside from the obvious, "Well, I'd rather turn tricks than be homeless," thought.

I guess that the thing that bothers me most is that everybody seems to do this to some degree. Not necessarily turn to prostitution in exchange for housing. Haven't done that since 'nam. But, why do we talk ourselves out of becoming more than what we currently are? Why not hold out for some thing better, be it a job, relationship, excercise, etc. Sure, sometimes people trade down out of what seems to be necessity, but not always. I guess that is the group that I wonder about. Probably because in many ways, that's me. I wonder how I trade down and give up great things for good things.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

Maybe because great things take time, energy, and patience and the pay-off doesn't always seem so immediate?

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

good, better, best... go for what you want. never give up!

i can't believe those crazy frenchies... what are they thinking?? :)

Maursupial said...

I know. I guess it's easier to say "I love who I am" while working as a high priced call girl, than saying, "You know, I made some huge errors along the way, leading to the crap hole I currently find myself in". It's easier to say, "Whatever happens is meant to happen." Than admit that things could be better if I tried harder.

Daisy Paige said...

Insightful post. I think Mona's right on. We trade down because we haven't been trained in the art of patience.