Monday, June 30, 2008

Is That a Rug?

I have a whole mess of hair. An exact metric ton, I believe. And it's curly. Getting up and just running a brush thru it is not an option. I take it like a trooper. Heaven knows I'm not one to complain. In fact, people who constantly gripe, "I wish my hair was_____ or ______. It would be so easy. My hair is just so straight," kind of get on my nerves.

Since I have to start from freshly washed in order to do my hair, I have mastered the art of pulling it up...or so I thought. This morning I took my dog to the park, but of course, was not about to shower and blow dry my hair to go sit there. The minute I got to the park some lady said to me, "Wow your hair looks great like that. It looks like one of those hair pieces."

I'm not sure if anyone but a curly haired girl can fully understands the indignity of that comment, but by no means was I flattered. It looks like a hair piece? Are you kidding me? Who says that? That's not a compliment.

Rest assured I went right home, washed my hair and immediatley began the process of fixing my rug.

6 comments:

Sara said...

It could be a compliment. People actually go out and buy fake hair to attach to their own so they can look like you. You are what they want to look like! Yeah!

becky said...

Ya know, I was always jealous of your hair until I witnessed what it takes to make it so beautiful! So I would totally buy a hair piece to look like yours!!

Jamie said...

My beautiful red headed sister was similarly offended when a strange woman (I bet yours was a strange woman too...) and said ooohh. your hair is so pretty what brand do you use??? What brand???/ what brand?? this is the real mcCoy baby! anyway, fun to have you posting again.

ThisKalilLife said...

I've always loved you hair. So, I'm not sure where this crazy is coming from!

Maursupial said...

I feel your pain my curly haired sister! People do NOT know what it takes to tame the beast, and being compared to those tacky as hell hair pieces is NEVER a compliment, no matter the intent.

tiki_lady said...

roflrofl, I have had the same comment made to me and usually when I just toss it up in a band and let it be! or people will even have the audacity to give it a tug, as if I am freakin' lying to them! HELLO!