Monday, May 4, 2009

Karma's a Cruel Mistress


Let us rewind to a conversation that I had with my friend Naomi shortly before we left for Puerto Rico.

"Do you think I should bring my computer with me? I might get some work done if we have some downtime," Naomi said.

"I don't know. I don't think I would. What if it gets stolen, or broken? I don't think that's a good idea."

She brought it...it got infested with ants and then was baptized by the stupidity of our neighbors. She freaked out that all of her doctoral work was lost. I went back to bed. (In my defense, I was very tired....and maybe in an Ambien haze.) I waited a few days and then reminded her, "Like I said....I wouldn't bring my computer on vacation."

Jump ahead a few weeks. My portfolio for my master's degree is due on Thursday. Two years worth of papers, data, charts and graphs should all be tied up nicely with a pretty little bow. But what do I have?

A virus. Oh- and a bunch of files that say, "Data corrupted. Cannot open," or some such nonsense.

Karma is cruel, indeed.

4 comments:

Naomi said...

I shouldn't be cackling for karma, but I did.

And now I am done because it is a beast.

I should know.

Rachael said...

That is NOT okay! I am soooo sorry to hear that!

Daisy Paige said...

I won't laugh even though I want to strictly because I don't want her coming around here to give me a dose any time soon.

In the Hartland said...

Oh, Pill, that is HORRIBLE!!! I would be freaking out if I were you! And, I don't think it's karma that caused this. Freakin' Naomi (does she have your blog address and could she be reading this comment??? Woops. Hi Naomi!) shouldn't have brought her stinkin' laptop to PR. I mean, c'mon, who does work when they are on an island in the middle of the Carribbean???